Storing your breast milk in ice cube trays is an eco-friendly way to minimize wasted milk. Ceres Chill makes a set of ice cube trays designed just for this purpose called the Milkstache! Here’s a complete Ceres Chill Milkstache review.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click a link and take action, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More information here.
What is the Ceres Chill Milkstache?
The Ceres Chill Milkstache is a set of ice cube trays designed for storing breast milk.
- A blue case that the ice cube trays are stored in
- Two silicone ice cube trays, with each ice cube holding about 1/2 oz (15 ml) of breast milk
- Two bands to secure the top of the blue case in place
- A dry erase marker that you can use to write the date or any other information on top of the case
How do you store breast milk in ice cube trays?
It’s pretty easy! You just pour the breast milk into the trays and freeze. The Milkstache also provides a cover for more protection.
If you’re going to store the milk long-term (longer than a few days), I would transfer the ice cubes to a breast milk storage bag or something air-tight to prevent freezer burn.
When you’re ready to use the milk, you just pop the ice cubes out and slide them into the bottles.
You can see more of the Milkstache and how it works in the below stories:
Pros of using the Milkstache
Some of the advantages of storing breast milk ice cubes in the Milkstache include:
- It’s easy to slide the frozen ice cubes into any bottle (narrow or wide mouthed)
- Because the ice cube trays are made of silicone, it’s much more straightforward to get the cubes out (versus using plastic ice cube trays)
- The box makes it easier to transfer the cubes from the counter (or wherever you’re pouring the milk in) to the freezer without spilling
- It’s eco-friendly and you’re not throwing away a ton of single-use, plastic breast milk storage bags
Cons of storing breast milk in ice cubes
There are also a few disadvantages:
- If you have a lot of milk to manage, it can be an inefficient way of storing your milk
- It can be hard to figure out exactly how much milk to pour into the ice cube tray to get 1/2 oz
Who might want to use a Ceres Chill Milkstache?
I think that the Milkstache is a great breast milk storage option for people who:
- Exclusively pump and are either undersuppliers or just enoughers with a small freezer stash, where not wasting any milk is important. Storing breast milk in ice cubes gives you a lot of flexibility in making bottles with the right amount of milk.
- Nursing parents who have a small freezer stash that they rotate.
If you have a large freezer stash, I would probably just stick to using breast milk bags. Managing your milk by the 1/2 oz will be too much work with a lot of milk!
If you want to check it out, you can get 15% off with the code PUMPING15!
Hopefully this Ceres Chill Milkstache review is helpful. Have you stored breast milk in ice cube trays? Let us know your tips in the comments!