Are you ready to buy a new breast pump, but not sure which one to get? Here’s a complete review of the Dr. Brown’s Customflow breast pump, including the pros and cons, and what else to consider.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
What is the Dr. Brown’s breast pump?
Here are some stories I created showing how it looks and works:
What are the pros of using the Dr. Brown’s pump?
This breast pump has a lot of advantages, including:
- It’s an effective and powerful double electric breast pump at an affordable price.
- This pump has the ability to adjust cycle speed (how frequently the pump pulls) in addition to vacuum strength (how hard the pump pulls).
- You have the ability to see and adjust the settings after you turn the pump on, but before it starts pulling, allowing you to start to pump at the settings that you want.
- You can pause the pump if you need to stop pumping, and then come right back to the same settings (versus turning it off and back on and losing the timer and setting information).
- Comes with adaptors for wide-neck bottles, so you can pump directly into either narrow neck (1.5 inches in diameter) or wide neck (2 inches in diameter) bottles.
- Breast shields are made of silicone and some people find them more comfortable than plastic flanges.
- Has a timer and a backlight.
What are the disadvantages of using the Dr. Brown’s pump?
There are also a few cons to the Dr. Brown’s pump:
- It needs to be plugged in while using it, so you need to be near an outlet or have an external battery pack.
- It’s a bit on the bigger side.
- The pump only comes with one size breast shields – 25mm. You can buy 21mm or 30mm on their website.
Dr. Brown’s breast pump parts
The Dr. Browns breast pump is a closed system pump, which means that it has a backflow protector to stop milk from getting into the tubing.
Here’s a story I put together showing all of the breast pump parts and how to assemble them.
What bottles can you use with this pump?
The Medela bottle on the left fits perfectly. The Motif bottle on the right is the correct size, but the threads aren’t exactly matched up. You may have to test your bottle out to see if it works.
Dr Brown’s breast pump review – what’s the bottom line?
The Dr Brown’s Customflow breast pump has a lot of unique features (the ability to pause pumping, the built-in bottle adapter, etc.) This pump is a great choice for parents who are pumping at work or who will have easy access to an outlet almost all of the time.
Have you tried the Dr. Brown’s breast pump? Let us know what you thought in the comments!