Are you a breastfeeding parent who feels like you’re always hungry? These peanut butter and oat squares are the perfect lactation snack!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
This recipe was inspired by this recipe from Cookies and Cups. I just tweaked it to add a few more galactagogues for boosting milk supply.
It has only five ingredients and is super easy to make. Here’s a quick step by step:
How do these lactation squares increase milk supply?
These lactation squares have three ingredients that may increase milk supply in some people – oats, flax seed, and brewer’s yeast.
Will these hugely increase your milk supply by themselves?
Probably not. The most important part of establishing and maintaining milk supply is milk removal through frequent nursing or pumping.
However, they may help – I found I pumped an extra ounce or two of breast milk on the days I ate lactation treats with oatmeal. Also, they are yummy and your whole family can eat them.
Can I skip the chocolate chips?
Yes, absolutely! I’ve made them plain, with chocolate chips, and with M&Ms. They’re good either way!
Can I substitute quick/instant oats or steel cut oats?
Quick cooking oats will work as a substitute for rolled or old fashioned oats.
I have not tried this recipe with steel cut oats, as they have a different texture and nutritional profile. If you try it, let me know how it goes!
Can you make this without brewer’s yeast?
Yes. You’ll still get a potential milk supply benefit from the oatmeal and flaxseed.
No need to substitute anything – just skip the brewer’s yeast if you don’t have it.
(Note: The easiest way to get brewer’s yeast is on amazon.)
No-Bake Peanut Butter Lactation Snack
- 3 cups oatmeal old-fashioned, rolled, or quick cooking oats will work
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp brewer's yeast
- 1 tbsp flaxseed ground
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips optional
- Line a 9x9 pan with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray
- Place oats, brewer's yeast, and flaxseed into a large bowl. Stir until well-mixed.
- Put peanut butter and honey together into a pan on the stovetop and heat until smooth, stirring frequently.
- Pour peanut butter and honey mixture into the bowl containing the oats and stir. (You may find it easiest to mix using your hands.)
- Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
- Press mixture into pan and place in the refrigerator until firm. Cut into squares.