Pumping should never hurt. Often, if you’re having pain, the problem is your breast shields. LacTeck BabyMotion Flanges are made of silicone and can be a more comfortable option for some people.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click a link and take action, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
What are LacTeck BabyMotion Flanges?
LacTeck BabyMotion flanges are breast shields that are made of silicone and are designed to mimic nursing.
You can see more of how they look and work in the below stories:
Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of these breast shields.
LacTeck BabyMotion Flanges Pros
- LacTeck flanges are made of silicone, so they are softer, more flexible, and can be more comfortable than hard plastic breast shields.
- Because the flanges are more flexible, they may provide a better seal to your breasts than plastic flanges. This can make breast compressions easier.
- The shape/material may help stimulate letdown better than plastic flanges, as it compresses the nipple and areola differently.
LacTeck BabyMotion Flanges Cons
- They are a little heavy, and this can cause the bottles to tip over when you’re done pumping. To avoid spills, you may need to take the breast shields off of the bottles before you set them down.
- It’s a little extra work to set up with adapters and everything if you don’t have a pump that uses a separate breast shield/connector (for example, like Spectra pump parts).
Who are these flanges good for?
These flanges are great for anyone who has elastic nipples. Elastic nipples means that your nipples stretch far into the flange, almost to the end of the connector. (More on elastic nipples here.)
Additionally, if you’re having pain with pumping, or just can’t seem to find a size that works for you, these are definitely worth a try. Pumping shouldn’t hurt.
What pumps do LacTeck breast shields work with?
You can use LacTeck flanges with many popular pumps, though sometimes you’ll need an adapter.
Medela, Lansinoh, and Hygeia
LacTeck BabyMotion flanges fit into Medela, Lansinoh, and Hygeia breast pump parts without any adaptors.
To use these flanges with your pump, you just replace the breast shield that came with your pump with the LacTeck one.
Spectra and Motif
Spectra and Motif breast pumps have a combined breast shield and connector, which can make using different breast shields a little more challenging.
One way to do this is with an adapter like this one:
This basically allows you have separate flange and connector, as with Medela pumps.
Willow and Freemie
Tips and tricks for using LacTeck flanges
Here are a few tips for using these breast shields:
- Make sure that you securely put the flange into the connector using a twisting motion, as sometimes the flange can slip out, sending a full bottle of breast milk crashing to the ground.
- The flanges have a little notch that is supposed to help mimic a baby nursing (that’s the “babymotion” part of the flanges). This notch should be at the bottom.
- If you’re worried about spilling milk because the flanges are heavy, keep a few coffee mugs at your pumping station that you can put your bottles in when you’re done pumping.
What size should you buy?
LacTeck flanges come in 15, 18, 21, 24, and 27mm sizes.
In most cases, you can use the same size that you use with your normal breast shields. However, if you have elastic nipples, LacTeck has found that some people need to size down.
If you have any sizing questions, LacTeck recommends emailing them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Want to check these out? Good news!
You can use the code EPUMP213 for 10% off LacTeck BabyMotion flanges.
Have you used these breast shields? Give us your LacTeck BabyMotion flange review in the comments!