This Monster Oatmeal Lactation Cookie Bar recipe is delicious, easy to make, and your whole family will love them! They have three milk-boosting ingredients – oatmeal, brewer’s yeast, and flaxseed – that can help you pump more milk.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
I love cookie bar recipes because it’s so much easier to just press all the cookie dough into a pan rather than roll out tons of little balls and manage multiple baking sheets. (Especially when you’re baking during your baby’s nap and have limited time to get these made!)
A few tips for making this lactation cookie bar recipe:
- When I make recipes that have oats, I usually fold them in with a spoon after beating everything else together in the electric mixer. In this case, I would recommend mixing them in with the mixer as described in the recipe; the stickiness of the dough makes it hard to distribute the oats evenly with a spoon.
- You can use two cups of any mix of chocolate chips/M&Ms/Reese’s Pieces that you’d like.
- The dough is so sticky that stirring the chocolate chips and candy in can be a challenge. If the bowl is too small, the candy will go flying everywhere, so use a larger bowl if possible.
Can you substitute rolled oats, old fashioned oats, or steel cut oats?
I liked these best with quick cooking oats, but both rolled oats and old fashioned oats will work great.
Steel cut oats have a different texture and nutritional profile. If you try it, let me know how it goes!
What if I don’t have brewer’s yeast?
The easiest way to get brewer’s yeast is on amazon. However, if you want to make it without brewer’s yeast, you’ll still get a benefit from the other two galactagogues in the recipe. You can substitute three tablespoons of flour for the three tablespoons of brewer’s yeast.
Monster Oatmeal Lactation Cookie Bars
- 2 1/2 cup oats quick cooking
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp brewer's yeast
- 2 tbsp flax seed ground
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms or Reese's Pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x13 pan with butter, cooking spray, or line with parchment paper.
- In a stand mixer, beat all ingredients except the chocolate chips and M&Ms until everything is combined. Then stir in the chip and candy.
- Pour the dough into the prepared dish and press it down so it is evenly distributed.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 minutes until the edges are set and the dough appears golden.