Are you thinking about getting a Motif Luna? Here’s a complete Motif Luna breast pump review, including the pros and cons, how to make it portable, and what bottles you can use with it.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click a link and take action, I may make a small commission at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
What is the Motif Luna Breast Pump?
The Motif Luna is a great double electric breast pump for working moms.
While it’s a newer pump and not as popular or widely used as other pumps, it is very similar to the Spectra S2.
What are the Pros of the Motif Luna?
Some of the advantages of getting a Motif Luna include:
- It’s a powerful and very effective pump. Many women who had used both the Luna and other pumps said that they emptied faster with the Luna. (Motif has also done research on the subject.)
- You have a lot of flexibility in the settings that you use on your pump. With most pumps, you are able to change the vacuum speed (the strength of the suction); the Luna also allows you to adjust the cycle speed (how frequently the pump pulls).
- Many users really like the LED and backlight; they found that these made going back to sleep after middle of the night pumping sessions much easier, as it’s possible to pump without turning the lights on.
- The Luna is a closed system pump, which means no milk in the tubing.
Here’s a quick video of my playing around with the settings. (First I turn it on, then adjust the vacuum level while in massage mode, then switch to expression mode and adjust the vacuum and cycle speeds, and turn on the LED light.)
What are the Cons of the Motif Luna?
There are also a few disadvantages:
- The Motif Luna does not have a built-in rechargeable battery, so you need to be near an outlet when you use it. (Alternatively, you can get a battery pack to power your pump on the go. The TalentCell is the most popular option. The next version of the Luna will have a rechargeable battery, which is great!)
- The pump isn’t especially quiet (but it’s not as loud as some other pumps either)
- The Luna only comes with one size breast shield (24mm) – however, it is possible to buy 28mm flanges or hack the pump to use other sizes (more on this below).
Motif Luna Breast Pump Accessories
Because the Motif is a less widely-used breast pump, it may be difficult to find replacement pump parts or bottles at a brick and mortar store near you. As a result, I would recommend buying a few extra sets to have on hand in case the ones that come with your pump break or are lost.
Another option is to figure out how to hack your pump to use Spectra or Medela breast pump parts. The Spectra parts are very similar, and swapping them out is fairly straightforward. (As Spectras have become more popular, their replacement pump parts are seen more often at Target and other stores.)
To use Medela breast pump parts with a Motif Luna, you would need to use an adaptor that will allow you to attach the backflow protector that comes with your Luna to the Medela pump parts.
(The backflow protector protects the tubing and motor from breastmilk, making it a closed system pump. Using a closed system pump without a backflow protector may void your warranty in some cases.)
What Bottles are compatible with the Luna?
The Luna uses wide-mouth bottles. Spectra and Avent bottles are also compatible with the Luna.
Motif Luna Breast Pump Review: Bottom Line
The Motif Luna isn’t one of the best known brands, but almost everyone I’ve interviewed who has used it loves it.
It’s a great option for moms who work in an office with access to an outlet. If you decide you want to get a Luna and if you will be exclusively pumping or traveling for work, make sure you also get a battery pack.
(You may be able to get a Motif Luna free through insurance. Check out your eligibility here.)
Have you used this pump? Tell us your Motif Luna breast pump review in the comments!