M&M cookies are my favorite – so what could be better than M&M cookies that make you more breast milk? This Chocolate Chip and M&M Lactation Cookies recipe has three galactagogues – brewer’s yeast, flaxseed, and oatmeal – along with plenty of chocolate to make them taste delicious.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
These cookies are really easy to make, with the only possible hiccup getting your hands on some brewer’s yeast. I’ve tried a few times to get it locally but have never been able to find it. (One health food store had tablets, but not the powder.) I got it on Amazon (here’s the one I bought), which might be easiest.
I had two recipes (this one and this one) that I used for inspiration, and I ended up making three batches of cookies – I made each recipe on its own once to test it out, and then made some tweaks of my own. My main changes were to increase the brewer’s yeast and flax seed to crank the galactagogue power up for increasing milk supply – and then seeing if that made the cookies taste any different.
(I didn’t notice any difference, so I went with the higher amounts.)
I made these with both baking-sized M&Ms and full size, and I preferred the full-sized ones but either will work. Also, the recipe calls for a 1:1 ratio of chocolate chips and M&Ms, but you can do all chocolate chips, all M&Ms, or whatever ratio you want!
This recipe makes 48 cookies. If you want to halve the recipe, the only issue is that it calls for three eggs – so you can just crack open two in a separate bowl, whisk them, and then pour about 3/4 of the mixture into the mixer. (I did this with one of the batches I made, because I only had one stick of butter and going to the store seemed like a lot of work.)
These cookies freeze well – I froze a few cookies of each batch that I made and then taste tested them all together! (If you were thinking about halving the recipe, I would make the whole batch and freeze half instead.)
Chocolate Chip and M&M Lactation Cookies
- 1/4 cup flax seed ground
- 1/4 cup water hot
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brewer's yeast
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups oats rolled or old fashioned
- 1 cup M&Ms
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add water to ground flax seed, and stir together until mixed. Set aside.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla.
- Add flax seed mixture, flour, brewer's yeast, baking soda, and salt. Mix until well combined.
- Fold in oats and stir. Once the oats are well combined, add M&Ms and chocolate chips.
- Place spoonfuls of dough onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until the edges are starting to brown.
- After removing the baking sheet from the oven, let the cookies rest for several minutes, and move to a wire rack to cool completely.