Are you considering investing in an Elvie breast pump? Here is a detailed Elvie breast pump review, covering everything you need to think about when you make your decision!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
What is the Elvie Pump?
The Elvie pump is an innovative breast pump that is completely wireless and hands-free. Instead of hooking yourself up to a pump with tubing and breast pump parts, you just place the entire pump in your bra.
(This means that to pump both sides at once, you actually need two Elvie pumps.)
The pump can be operated with an app on your phone; the app can also tell you how full the bottles are.
What are the Pros of Using an Elvie?
Some of the advantages of using an Elvie include:
- The biggest selling point is obviously that it’s very portable. You can easily walk around and take care of things around the house while pumping, and even pump in public without anyone knowing what you’re doing.
- Because it’s so easy to pump wherever you are and whatever you’re doing, it’s easier to be consistent with pumping. It’s a lot simpler to stick to your pumping schedule when you can pump anywhere versus needing to be close to an outlet.
- The Elvie is a very gentle pump, and it’s designed to feel like a baby nursing.
- It’s almost noiseless. (They say it’s silent; users generally say it’s very quiet but not completely silent.)
- The Elvie comes with two chargers and sets of everything you need. (Comparison to Willow: Willow only comes with one charger.)
What are the Cons of Using an Elvie?
There are a few things to be aware of when you’re considering buying an Elvie.
- The pumps can spill if you bend over while using the pump, so your movement is somewhat restricted. (Comparison to Willow: This is also true with the Willow when using their reusable container; however, Willow’s bags are spillproof. The bags can get expensive if you use them exclusively, though.)
- Elvie’s bottles are 5oz (150ml) ; if you typically pump more than that on one side, you would need to switch out the bottles during your pumping session.
- Some women noted that pumping took longer with the Elvie than with other pumps. (However, because pumping is much easier to do with an Elvie, the extra time generally wasn’t an inconvenience.)
- The Elvie is obviously at a higher price point than many breast pumps.
Will the Elvie Work for Everyone?
The Elvie will work for most women; however, it’s important to make sure that you can pump with one of the available flange sizes.
Elvies come with 24mm and 28mm breast shields. You can also purchase 21mm breast shields separately. (See more information on how Elvie suggests measuring your nipples here.)
Tips and Tricks for Using an Elvie Pump
Here are a few tips to using the pump from veteran Elvie users:
- Using the app frequently during pumping sessions can sometimes impact the battery life of the pump. If you find the pump isn’t staying charged as long as you’d like, try limiting the use the app.
- Make sure that your bra is tight enough. Sometimes a tighter bra is needed to allow the pump to “latch” correctly.
- If you’re having any pain with pumping, try using a different flange size or BeaugenMom cushions.
- Many women noted that customer service on Facebook messenger was very responsive.
Should You Get a Single Elvie or a Double Elvie?
If you’ll be pumping at work or exclusively pumping, I would get two pumps.
If you’re planning on staying home and nursing at least some of the time, a single Elvie can work fine. Some Elvie users reported that they used their single pump in public while wearing a scarf on their chest so that they didn’t look lopsided.
Elvie Breast Pump Review – What’s the Bottom Line?
The Elvie is an awesome portable pump. It’s truly lifechanging to be able to pump and move around with this much flexibility. (Also! From 2/7/20-2/14/20, you can use the code EXCLUSIVELY15 for 15% off!)
If you’re on the fence about getting an Elvie versus a Willow, you can read a more detailed comparison here.
If cost is an issue, you may be able to get one free through insurance, or you may be able to use your FSA or HSA.
Did I miss anything that prospective Elvie buyers should know? Feel free to leave your Elvie breast pump review in the comments!