Having a functional breast pump bag is crucial when you need pump outside of your house. So what’s the best breast pump bag?
Different bags have different features, and it can be hard to know what exactly to look for in a bag. How big of a bag do you need? Do you need insulated compartments? And what are the best breast pump bags for Spectra pumps (which are larger than other breast pumps)?
Here is what to look for in a breast pump bag, plus six of the best breast pump bags for working parents and exclusive pumpers.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
How to Choose a Breast Pump Bag
Here is what to think about when deciding on the best breast pump bag for you.
Size of Your Breast Pump
Probably the most important thing to consider is whether or not your breast pump will fit in the breast pump bag that you’re considering!
While some pumps (like the Baby Buddha) will not have issues fitting into any breast pump bag, others, particularly the Spectra S1 and S2 and hospital-grade pumps (like the Medela Symphony) may not work with all bags.
Trade off Between Size of Bag and How Much You Can Fit in It
A big pump bag can be great, because you can fit all of your stuff in it – but it can also be really heavy once you get everything loaded up. Think about where you’ll be using the bag, and if a lot of weight in one bag (versus distributed in multiple bags) will be an issue.
For example, if you commute using public transportation and have to walk quite a bit, having to haul a really heavy bag might not be ideal.
On the other hand, if you drive to work and don’t have to walk far, being able to have everything in one bag might be simpler than packing up a pump bag, laptop bag, and a lunch bag, for example.
Type of Breast Pump Bag: Tote versus Backpack
Another thing to think about is how you prefer to carry the weight – using a tote bag (either with a shoulder strap or carried), or a backpack.
A heavier bag might be easier to carry on your back; a tote might look more professional.
Quality of Construction and Warranty
If you’re like me, your breast pump bag goes everywhere with you for months. This means it has to be durable and able to handle being constantly zipped open and closed, things being thrown into it, getting spilled on, etc.
Some bag manufacturers offer warranties and will replace bags that are defective, so that’s something to keep an eye on if you’re concerned about that.
Style and Where You’re Planning on Carrying Your Bag
If you work outside of the home, some bags might work better than others, style-wise.
If you work in finance or law, for example, a black professional-looking breast pump bag might be best. However, if you’re a stay at home exclusively pumping mom or work in a more casual field, a pattern can be fun.
Insulation and Compartments
Most breast pump bags have compartments for storing your breast pump, and some have an additional compartment for storing bottles. Often these areas are insulated to protect your pump and keep milk cold.
Consider how you want to use your breast pump bag, and whether you’d rather have a separate cooler (to put in your work fridge, for example) or just use a compartment in your bag with an ice pack.
Best Breast Pump Bags for Working Parents and Exclusive Pumpers
Here are some of my favorite breast pump bags:
Sarah Wells Kelly
✅ Lots of pockets to. organize pumping and work gear
Idaho Jones Backpack
✅ Cushioned slot for laptop up to 15 inches
Teamoy Breast Pump Backpack
✅ Very affordable breast pump backpack option
Jujube Be Pumped
✅ Functional and easy to use, with lots of pockets
Sarah Wells Lizzy
✅ Comes in cute patterns
Idaho Jones Ellergy
✅ Big enough for any size pump
Below are more details on these breast pump bags.
1. Sarah Wells Kelly Convertible Breast Pump Bag
With this Sarah Wells bag, you don’t have to choose between tote and backpack, because this one can switch back and forth! (The video in the amazon listing I linked above shows how this works starting at 0:46.) It comes in three colors/patterns.
- It has tons of pockets so that you can organize all of your pumping and work gear.
- It fits all breast pumps, including hospital grade pumps and the Spectra S1 and S2.
- This bag fits a 15 inch laptop.
- The pockets collapse down so that when you’re done pumping, you can use it as a normal bag.
- Sarah Wells products have a lifetime warranty.
- Some reviewers noted that reinforced or padded straps would be helpful given how heavy the bag can get when packed.
2. Idaho Jones Chertsey Breast Pump Backpack
This breast pump backpack fits all breast pumps (both portable and hospital-grade), including Spectra pumps.
- It has a cushioned slot for a laptop, up to 15 inches.
- You don’t need a separate cooler to keep your bottles cold in the insulated compartment – just put an ice pack in it and you’re all set.
- This bag can transition to a diaper bag when you’re done pumping.
- It has a 12 month warranty and satisfaction guarantee.
- If you’re on the small side, this bag might be a little large for you.
(Note: Idaho Jones reached out to me with a coupon code – you can use EPUMP10 at checkout for 10% off on any bag on their website.)
3. Teamoy Breast Pump Backpack
Type: BackpackPrice: $This backpack
differs from some of the others in that it has two large dedicated compartments, one for breastmilk and one for your pump.
- Most affordable breast pump backpack option.
- Large enough to fit Spectra pumps easily.
- It’s a very functional bag, but maybe not the most attractive or professional.
4. Jujube Be Pumped
The Jujube Be Pumped is a good versatile option for working parents.
- It is big enough to carry any personal pump, including a Spectra.
- Tons of pockets to organize your breast pump gear.
- You have the option to use tote straps or a longer messenger strap.
- It is smaller than some other options (but also may be easier to carry).
5. Idaho Jones Ellerby Breast Pump Tote
The Idaho Jones Ellerby is a great mid-priced breast pump tote option.
- You can wear it as a cross-body bag or carry it as a tote.
- Straps are thick and comfortable for carrying heavier loads.
- Laptop compartment can fit up to a 15 inch laptop.
- It’s professional-looking and can be used as a work bag, travel carry-on, gym bag, etc. when you’re done pumping.
- Fits all personal pumps.
- Full 12 month warranty.
- It’s a little on the large side.
I have one and like it a lot. Here’s how it looks:
6. Sarah Wells “Lizzy” Breast Pump Bag
The Sarah Wells Lizzy breast pump bag has two compartments – one bigger one for your pump and one for your cooler or bottles. Both compartments are insulated.
- When you’re done pumping, the Lizzy bag works really well as a general tote/carry on bag/diaper bag/etc. (You can just push the compartments down flat.)
- It comes in a couple of cute patterns.
- It’s big enough to fit all your pumping gear plus whatever else you need to carry with you.
- It’s durable, well-constructed, and has a lifetime warranty.
- Because the main bag opens up into the bag with the insulated compartments, it’s possible for small things to get lost in the sides of the pump/cooler compartments. There is a zippered side pocket for keys/wallets that can help with this, though.
I have one and really like it! Here’s a story I did showing it:
Did I miss a breast pump bag that you love? Share a link in the comments!
Nervous about pumping at work? Want help building your freezer stash, creating a packing checklist, and putting together a pumping schedule? Check out my Ultimate Pumping at Work Workbook here! Use EPUMP30 for 30% off.