Who doesn’t like brownies – especially brownies that help you make more breast milk? These lactation brownies are made from a regular brownie mix (with the addition of a few milk-making ingredients), and are super easy to make.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that if you click through and make a purchase, I’ll be compensated at no additional cost to you. I only recommend products I love! More info here.
These brownies are my attempt to make delicious lactation brownies, but easier! The idea was to make brownies from a normal box mix, but just add three galactagogues – oats, brewer’s yeast and flaxseed.
Adding extra dry ingredients meant adding additional liquids, so I experimented with what worked best. I ended up adding a little extra water and an another egg to the recipe on the box, while keeping the amount of oil the same.
This is pretty easy to make! Stir everything together, put it in a pan, and you’re all set.
The ONLY tricky thing about this recipe is the cooking time. The first two times I made it, I baked the brownies for the time the box said, and the result was some pretty dry brownies. I started trying shorter baking times, leading to a few batches that were slightly undercooked in the middle.
(My kids were really happy about all of these trials, though.)
After making these about eight times, I think that 37-42 minutes, depending on your oven, is the way to go. I would set the timer for 35 minutes and check it – you want the edges to be set, and the middle spring back when you touch it.
A few notes:
- The first few times I made this, I ground up the oats in a blender first, essentially making them oat flour. But one time, I wanted to make brownies and the blender was dirty, so rather than wash it I just used plain oats. The brownies were just as good this way, so I took that extra step out. It works either way, though!
- I did all of my testing with a Ghiradelli mix – the adjustments to the wet ingredients/cook time may need to be different with a different mix.
- If you’d like, you can add chocolate chips, too!
Lactation Brownies (From a Mix!)
These delicious lactation brownies are made with brownie mix and a few extra milk-making ingredients to help you boost your breast milk supply!
Servings 16 brownies
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 package Ghirardelli® brownie mix
- 3/4 cup oats rolled or old fashioned
- 1/3 cup brewer's yeast
- 1 tbsp flax seed ground
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 pan (glass or metal) with cooking spray.
- Mix water, oil, and eggs together in a large bowl.
- Add brownie mix, oatmeal, brewer's yeast, and flax seed and stir until well mixed. Pour into the pan.
- Bake for 37-42 minutes, which will be slightly less than the box will say. You want the edges to be set and the center to lightly spring back to the touch.
- Cool for 20-30 minutes.